Have you ever heard of a journal challenge? Journaling has so many different benefits and many counselors/therapists will encourage their clients to utilize a journal. Being an addictions counselor for over 25 years I have encouraged many people to start their healing process through the use of a journal. One of the issues that would arise is people often didn’t know where to start and would end up looking at a blank page. This is where journal prompts can help a person get started with the process of journaling.
What Are Journal Prompts?
Journal prompts are questions or statements that are designed to inspire you or offer you an idea of what to write about. They are a great way for you to start the journaling process. These self-awareness questions or statements are used as a guide when you are not sure what to write about. When used daily they help you develop the habit of journaling.
You will need a pen or pencil. I like using a variety of different colored pens and fine tip markers. You will also need a journal book — a notebook of any kind will also work. Lastly you will need a copy of the questions that you are going to be responding to.
- What historical time period would you most like to visit?
- What does you are “responsible for your own happiness” mean to you ?
- When you are feeling down what do you do to feel better?
- Make a list of expectations you have of your family.
- Go over the list you made yesterday and identify any that are unrealistic.
- What did you get into the most trouble for when you were young?
- What are some things other people might think of you that you know aren’t true?
- Would you like a quiet life of safety or a life of great adventure and uncertainty? Explain the reasoning of your choice.
- How are you, really?
- List five ways that you treat yourself with love.
- What would you most like to ask God?
- What is something that you have overcome?
- What color makes you think of happiness? Why?
- Do you live more in the past, present or future?
- Do you ever make yourself miserable? If so, describe what you do and what it feels like.
- Do you ever make yourself happy and strong? If so, describe what you do and what it feels like.
- What do you dream your life will be like in 10 years?
- What does living an intentional life mean to you?
- What do you need to get off your chest today?
- What fashion trend did you follow that was very cool then, but now looks ridiculous?
- Make a list of how you feel when you are loved.
- If you couldn’t fail – what would you do?
- What actions can you take today to simplify your life?
- If your body could talk, what would it say?
- Give yourself a compliment.
- What is one lesson that you have learned from pain?
- List the little things that you can enjoy today.
- What one fear would you like to conquer?
- What can you do to give back?
- Today I feel….
- What is something that you learned this month that you are grateful for?
An additional component to journaling that I encourage my clients to do is to end each journal entry with a statement of gratitude. I have been practicing this in my personal journal for over 25 years now and it has made a dramatic positive effect on my life. When I focus my thoughts on what it is that I am grateful for in my life I tend to live my life looking for things that I am grateful for. Even in my hardest days I have been able to find gratitude. It has been such a blessing for my physical, emotional, mental and spiritual health.
I want to encourage you to participate in this challenge. It doesn’t require a lot of time. Try and commit 5-10 minutes a day to reflect and respond to the questions being asked. There are no right or wrong answers. This exercise is for you and it never has to be shared with anyone.
Additional Journal Plans
Here are more journal prompt plans:
Are you participating in this challenge? Do you regularly journal? What have you found as a benefit (s) to journaling in your own life? I would love to hear from you.
Be blessed 💞💞💞
Did you enjoy this post? If so, please share it with your friends on your social media 💞💞💞
7 thoughts on “Monthly Journal Challenge ~ May Prompts”
It’s been a long time since I don’t journal, when I was younger I used to do it a lot. That explains why now I’m nore stressed out 😀 This post gives me encouragement and inspiration to do it again. Thanks Shelley 🙂
Blessings to you my friend. 💞💞
Blessings for you too 🙂
I love Journaling! 💙 These are some great prompts too. Thanks for being so thorough, you’ve given me a lot of ideas!
Thank you for taking the time to comment. Blessings on your journaling journey 💞
Hello Shelley, Thank you for this prompts. I have saved and pinned them. I’m looking to begin journalling. So I did a few Google searches for journaling challenge and prompts and I found your blog. I hope to complete this challenge and look forward for the next month.
Hello Grace, thank you for visiting. I hope that you enjoy your journaling journey. Blessings 💞